Friday, December 23, 2011

Ohio, Japan. Chapter 7 The End



CHAPTER 7


What is the best way to buy a Shinkansen ticket:  From a machine?  On line?  At a university student store?  In bulk?  

Japanese colleagues wonder too.

“ I travel every week between Kansai and Kanto,” I told the ticket mistress.

“Buy online and pick up the ticket at a station.”

Our conversation faltered.  Vocabulary was lacking “ buying tickets in bulk.”

"Six," she answered, putting the index finger of one hand on the open palm of the other.

Six, however, did not seem to refer to the number of tickets to be purchased at one time.

She said in English, "Cheapest, most fast."

By Internet, I used my JR Tokai credit card to buy a Shinkansen ticket.  I wrote down the four-digit reservation code sent to me by email confirmation.  Later, at the ticket window, I asked, “Can I get the tickets by machine?” thinking to save more money.

"9 and 10," she answered, pointing to the last pair in the row of vending machines.

I walked across the lobby.  I got my ticket, and tried to see how machines 9 and 10 differed from machines 1 through 8. I hoped I would be able to find appropriate machines in the next match with a forest of ticket vending machines.

This slow meticulous search among symbolic identities often paid off. The search seemed childish, as if not the real thing, but only a game among decoys. I was illiterate.  I needed symbols, not letters. 

The Japanese language lesson from Mr. Kinoshita was a great honour for me.  The weekly lesson was irregular because sometimes he had to attend a meeting instead. Once he had to be at a disciplinary hearing for a foreign student accused of cheating on a test.  I concentrated too intensely during the one-on-one lesson, while he tried to make me relax, drawing attention to my coiled posture and locked jaws.

"Breathe deep," he usually said.  "Lean back."

I always followed his suggestion.

On day he said, "Don't be afraid."

His acumen!  I could excuse my stress in various ways, but mostly I was afraid of making mistakes.   This anxiety made him uncomfortable, too.  My desire corrupted the capability.

At a private English lesson I gave during lunch, my student described a technique in language learning called "ghosting."   A learner repeats the teacher’s speaking so soon after hearing it that there is no time for thought or fear. 

"The head is empty," she explained.

A very good teacher in a junior high school in Tokyo used this method of ghosting.  "Don't be alarmed," he had warned.  "The students will follow you closely."

------------------


Junior Class Performance Day at the National Defense Academy.  Each English class had to be on stage for seven minutes.

One of my classes chose to perform Michael Jackson’s hit, “Thriller.”  They appointed a dance master, and watched the video over and over.  They cleared away the desks and practiced.

Another class opted for the Edgar Allan Poe murder mystery "The Tell-Tale Heart." The students wrote a script.  I brought a metronome for the dead man’s heart beating. But during rehearsal the designated soundman called out in a loud, flat voice, “To-kunn, to-kunn."

I was delighted.   He nodded in modest acknowledgement.  I wanted to ask him, “Why ‘to-kunn?’” But there was something about a language class that prevents questions about language.  There is the existence of an acceptable classroom level of inquiry beyond which lies confusion. 

 After the performance, Ms. Horie asked, “Do you know what ‘to-kunn’ means?”

“No,” I said.  “I thought it was just a random sound.  I wondered why the students chose that sound.” 

The two Japanese English teachers provided a deluge of examples of Japanese onomatopoeia.  There was “to-kunn” and its variations; a "sh" sound that meant tears, but "only a woman's tears".

“Poe is famous for onomatopoeia,” I said.  The Japanese English teachers at NDA are extremely knowledgeable about English literature.  One year they banned Shakespeare.

I’d tried to explain the phrase, “’It was only the wind in the chimney or a cricket chirp.’"  My narrator had had a difficult time pronouncing the words and we had drilled them over and over.

"She's a very good English speaker,” Mr. Horie said.

“I offered to shorten the sentences, but she protested," I recalled.

Magnificent her performance was.


3.  My cipher lesson at Gaidai accompanied the chapter in the Internet book about computer security. The assignment was to devise a secret code and send a coded message.

One group of students provided an algorithm to another group.  While the second group attempted to decode by the pattern, the rest of the students tried to break the code without knowing the pattern.

"Maybe Katzman loves us," was one message.

A student wrote another message in code on the blackboard.  I noticed the inserts of "one," “two,” “three," and the disguised word breaks.

"'I am hungry but I have no money and I am about to die,’” I soon read. "Explain the code in English."

The group explained with a word in Japanese.  “Numbers  ‘toru’,” a group representative says.

"'Toru?'" I asked.

"Toru," he insisted.

""Does that mean ‘fly away?’” I asked.

"No. ‘Toru.’”"

"What does it mean?"

"Take away."

"Oh.  In English, we say 'garbage numbers.'"
------------------

My ticket card did not have enough. I inserted a new card, too.  But the wicket rejected both.  The ticket master opened the gate and put my train cards through a computer in the small office.   

 I asked in Japanese, "Why doesn't it work?"

He shrugged and said, “Sometimes the machines do not work.”

------------------

By Internet shopping, I gave my San Francisco sister and family warm slippers and a throw blanket.

"It’s been cold, really cold," she thanked me in email on getting the package.

I checked the weather in San Francisco and looked for the Celsius in order to assess how cold it was before I checked the Fahrenheit display. Is this a kind of bilingualism? 

------------------

I looked at the train schedule posted on the doors between compartments.  The 1113 train will be fine.  But when I reserved the ticket by Internet, the train time is 1109. 

At Shin Yokohama, “ticket” flashed on the machine.

“Isn’t the next move yours?” I thought, short of time.

But the machine was directing me:  It meant to say,  "Put in the ticket."

I put in the transfer ticket from my local train.  The machine gave me a ticket to the Shinkansen.  I ran through the turnstile and up the stairs just in time to board.

Shin Osaka held one more train transfer to negotiate. I descended to the local train platform. 

“Arriving trains at 1330 and 1346,” the sign said.

1333, said my watch,

I approached a woman, and asked, "Late?”

She nodded.

Sometimes the fault is in the clockworks.

------------------

I blew off my anger when passing smokers whose fumes offend by saying, "Gan-man."

"Gan" is Japanese for cancer.

I had a chance to check my joke for accuracy and reaction in a class at Gaidai.

Some students chose to discuss the law that required health warnings on cigarette packets to be worded more strongly and placed on the front of the packages. 

I recounted my furious joke.  They laughed, although many of them smoke.  One guy whose attitude I liked but who smells strongly of tobacco, explained, "Tobacco should not be illegal.  Not like drugs.  I can work.  It doesn't stop me from working."

------------------
In Tokyo Station, I bought a Shinkansen ticket at the huge raised dias, and   went into a sushi place, sat at the counter.  Below the revolving sushi, a second conveyor belt held big teacups.

In front of me there was a tray, wooden chopsticks soy sauce, and a dispenser with green powder.  On my tray there was small sauce bowl.

I put a teacup under the spigot.  Hot water poured into the cup.  But where was the tea? Looking, I lifted the top off a bowl; there were long white strands, which I assumed were noodles, and serving tongs. I was surprised that noodles seemed to be provided free as a condiment.

With a tapping motion on a can, I poured green powder onto a small bowl, and with a chopstick mixed in some hot water.

I remembered my Uncle Morrie, an independent food chemist, and my mother, making wasabi from powder they got from a small tin.  It was important to wait for five minutes after adding water.  This procedure seemed unusual in a quick food restaurant, but I congratulated myself on knowing the correct way to prepare Japanese horseradish.

I dipped the sushi in the green liquid.  The liquid was no thicker than water.  There was neither sharp taste in the mouth, nor pungency in the nostrils.


I dipped a chopstick into the bright green goo.  It tasted like tea.  I looked at the container of green powder and recognized the kanji for “tea.”  (This tea kanji had clear symmetrical top upper marks that symbolized “plant.”)  I realized my mistake.  My embarrassment went unrecognized.

I tapped what I knew to be powdered green tea onto the now lukewarm water in the teacup.  The powder remained on top of the water.  It would not dissolve.  I took another teacup from the revolving belt.  I moved in slow motion, at teacup-speed, slower than the sushi dishes.  I gestured a question to a waitress.  The young woman assured me, yes, first put the tea into the cup, and then add water.

------------------

On the weekend, I had a long phone conversation with my nephew, Max, 16.  He assumed that I could speak Japanese.  This was the first time anyone had assumed that I could speak Japanese.  I did not object.

I had started studying Japanese in San Francisco, in the living room of Max’s parents while I had stayed for two weeks waiting for my Japanese visa to clear.  He had been eight, studying baseball stadiums and games as I drew Japanese letters. 

I in Japan, we talked about languages. San Francisco public schools exposed Max to teachers and students speaking Chinese Spanish, and Japanese.

"I still find it really hard to believe that there is more than one language," he said on the phone.

"I feel the same way," I replied.  I was happy to hear someone express the feeling that I have had for a long time.

Max asked, “Can your read a Japanese newspaper?”

“No, Newspapers have more kanji than I know.”

“Do you talk to your friends in Japanese or in English?” he asked.


At Tokyo station I ate again at the revolving sushi shop.  I sat in the place of the man last week who had made requests of the sushi chef.  I noticed a sign taped to the counter with the names of the sushi colour-coded to match the plates on which they arrived.

The writing was hiragana, not kanji, so I could pronounce it.  Silently.

The man next to me ordered something; the chef prepared two dishes; I took one.  It was tasty.

I pointed at another of the same kind and the waitress got it for me from the revolving belt while the sushi chef walked towards another part of the counter.

I resolved to try a request for that kind of sushi next time I was in the shop. I noticed that the long white strips provided gratis were not noodles, but strips of fresh ginger.

At Gaidai, I ate lunch with the student in my third period class who is about my age. 

She asked about my Japanese language study.

"My current lesson is about cherry blossom viewing," I said.

"Not this season."

"No, it's not, " I agreed.

We talked a little in Japanese, but it was difficult for me to understand her.

------------------
------------------

 I wrote up the meeting notes of an international meeting of NGOs from Tokyo and India.  A diplomat suggested that I figure out what the speakers say and how they say it, even when I cannot understand their speech exactly.

------------------

In my Japanese language lesson, lesson 8 from the intermediate reading textbook, a grandmother appeared at her eighty-eighth birthday.  The lesson explained the 88th birthday was called a "rice celebration" because of the pun on the kanji for “eight” and “eight” looking like the kanji for  "rice." 

/\ eight

\ | /
-----  rice
/ | \

米   rice

I showed this to a Japanese with an interest in ancient language, who said the pun was strange because you have to use the old kanji.  In the old kanji, the lines were slanted at an opposite angle from the modern kanji.  This visual pun worked best if you used both the old and new kanji.

\/eight, old kanji
/\ Eight, new kanji


The birthday ninety-ninth was said to be "white birthday."

百                                      hundred 
minus 一                                     minus one


becomes 白  white                      equals ninety-nine




Mr. Kokawa, a teacher at NDA whose specialty was dictionaries, agreed that word play on kanji was very popular in Japan.  I edited his comparison of editions of a Merriam Webster dictionary.  We talked about thesaurus, and he told me that those word books have only been around in Japan for a couple of decades. 

At lunch he answered my question about punning birthdays. 

“Double numbers are…” He searched for the word.

“Auspicious?”

“Yes, auspicious.  The kanji for eight is not necessarily old; it is simply an alterative form of eight.”

He also explained about the pun of the 90th birthday.  A visual pun on the kanji for nine and ten, which formed a slang kanji that meant graduation or completion.

“Lots of people like kanji, as you do, and make up these games,” he said.

------------------

Mr. Nagata took a computer programming class and showed me the class project when we commuted on the train to NDA in the mornings.  He got on the train to which I transferred about half way to the campus.  For his computer lesson, each class group had to depict the action of going through a curving tunnel.

He showed me his small notebooks, which had sketches, diagrams, and instructions.  Some of the programming schemes had English words, like "goal."

This programming was on an environment called "brew" which he explained is a multi-platform like JAVA to display graphics on different operating systems.  He was writing programs for DoCoMo brand of cell phones. 

------------------

This year was the year of the rooster in the Eastern calendars.  I got a New Year's card for 2005 from a friend whose hobby was drawing pictures on computer.  A chicken on a weathercock saw a flying bid, and puzzled, expressed something in kanji.

I guessed that the bird was thinking, "Flying drunk?" because the kanji looked like "sake," "alcohol beverage."  And I could read the first kanji "fly."

A friend came to my house for a New Year's visit, and I asked about the card.  This friend, Midori, bewailed her English ability.

“The rooster is thinking,’Eh?  A flying bird?’” 

------------------

I went to the dentist for a filling.  The dental technician spoke pretty good English.  She consulted with the two other technicians and with the dentist, but seemed reticent to use the word "spit."  First she checked its meaning with me by gesturing spitting on a sidewalk or person.

"Yes," I said.  "That’s spitting"

"Spit for thirty minutes," she told me, after a procedure to strengthen the teeth after a filling a week earlier. 

As I waited in the chair, mouth open, for two minutes, as instructed, I pondered.  Later, I tried to expand her vocabulary:  "Don't swallow."

------------------

"Squirt," the telephone English client says.  She is telling me a story.  The doctor had asked if she wanted the water on her knee extracted.

"It's a very good guess," I said, and expounded about squirt guns and juicy oranges.

------------------

I substituted for our Australian teacher.  His students did a lesson to invent a new holiday.

One student invented a holiday for “natto,” a fermented soybean food typically sold in small one-serving Styrofoam packs and eaten with mustard and soy sauce and infamous for its repugnance to foreigners.   The assignment called for holiday name and date, activity, and importance.  The student made word play on the name to arrive at July 10.  “Nana” was one pronunciation of seven; "to" was one reading of ten.  Therefore he read “natto” to mean the seventh month, tenth day.  July 10 would be Natto Day.

Quick to recognise the word play, I regained authority by correcting spelling of “natto” in English.

His classmates followed the punned example in inventing a holiday.

11.11 for Pocky Day, after a stick candy

1001 for glasses day

1.5 (January 5) for strawberry day because the Japanese word was “ichigo,” which by coincidence parsed into the Japanese words for one and five.

2.9 for meat day, Japanese for meat being “niku.”  Ni means two; ku means nine.

But the 1.11 for dog day stumped me.  "I nu?"  I asked, pronouncing the Japanese word for dog.  “One dog?”

 "No," the student explained.  “Wan, wan, wan," the Japanese sound for barking.

I liked the results so much, I assigned my freshman the same task, with these results.

Baseball day.  “Yakyu” was baseball in Japanese.  “Ya” meant eight.  “Kyu” meant nine.  Eighth month, ninth day.  August 9.

Shoe day. “Kutsu” was shoe in Japanese.  “Ku” was nine; “tsu” was two in English.   Ninth month, second day.  September 2.

The student had used Japanese and English to arrive at a bilingually derived pun for a holiday's date, a shoe day. 

------------------

I tutored a Sophia University freshman "definition of home."  For the essay in anthropology philosophy, he argued of the impossibility of defining any word.  He wrote of "fussiness:" stone was defined as a small rock, and thus the definition was circular.  Moreover, size was elusive; even a hamburger could vary in size. 

He meant  "fuzziness," I realized, almost disappointed.

------------------

At NDA, a senior cadet greeted me. I had taught Mr. Kitai in freshman and junior years.  His English language aptitude was recognised by all.  His nickname was Toeic Boy, after the Test of English as International Communication. 

“I’m writing my senior thesis,” he said.

"On what?" I asked.

"Kubrick," he said.

“What?”  I asked, not understanding without context.

“Kubrick.”

“Oh, the movie director.  Then you've seen ‘AI’?”

“Yes.”

“I'd like to read your thesis.  Let me know if you want any English assistance.  You have my email address."

“Ok.”

I realised later he would probably be writing in Japanese.

------------------

I assigned Gaidai students to describe their major language in English.  Arabic, Mongolian, Russian scripts appeared on the blackboard.  One guy wrote Arabic in a flowing hand with chalk, drawing “oohs” and “aahs” of admiration from his classmates. 

The Chinese student whose major language was Japanese said of the Japanese saying before meals, "I have no idea of how to translate this into Chinese."

Another idiom is the phrase said to colleagues at the end of a day,  “Shi tsu re shi ma su. The literal translation “We are so tired!” goes against my cultural grain. 

The Gaidai students’ assessment of foreign languages was practical: “Are the sounds easy for us to make?”

------------------

I read somewhere, "what if English were written in the Chinese system?”

Chinese call the Chinese system of writing hanzi.  They would call English written by its own little pictures yangzi.

------------------

Monday night at Osaka, I stood with Masuo waiting for a train.  Green marks on the platform said only women could ride on those cars during certain hours. 

“Are there were such gender restrictions notices for trains in Tokyo?”

“I don’t remember seeing any.  Not that they do any good,” I said. "I mean, I hope they do some good, but I don’t think they do."


------------------


At Sophia, a student attended an hour-long writing tutor session.  Her assignment was "technology."  Her four pages were titled, "Horror of Meru-Tomo" about herself as a 14-year-old with her first cell phone answering the calls of a "stalker."

"Meru-Tomo" is slang for "email friends" who know each other only by email, and never meet face-to-face.

The essay described randomly accessed phone numbers.

Having an email friend was fashionable, she recalled, and so she had responded to an unknown caller.

The email friend stalked her home, and alarmed parents put him off.

------------------

Sometimes I shared with my juniors the Japanese lessons with which I struggled. My juniors translated the Japanese lessons I read aloud.  They puzzled together and then deputized a speaker to render the translation. Japanese lessons took a new perspective after I heard five university Japanese students puzzle over a sentence, make false starts, search for a term, confer, and compete to offer an acceptable translation to English.

There was intelligence in the language itself, and practitioners sought meaning energetically.

Translation is the practical curriculum from early Japanese learning of English, and my juniors were eager.

Their efforts, by turn, honed my translation ability. Respectful reciprocity.

------------------

On my last trip to Osaka for this academic year, snow powdered the mountains near Kyoto.  It was February.

In Yokohama I met Alvin, a Filipino NDA student.  My friend Midori has been his host mother during his stay in Japan and she brought him on a visit of a Sunday for a very pleasant afternoon of three or four hours. We sat outside in the sun enjoying coffee.  Midori dozed, in a relaxed incomprehension of the English conversation between Alvin and me about learning Japanese.  He talked about the so-called “zero year” of intensive language learning; after 9 months he and another cadet passed the Japanese proficiency test with a score of two. Alvin waited results of a December test, hoping to achieve a score of level one, native fluency.

NDA required no minimum language proficiency score.

He described feeling lost during the first few weeks in Japan in the zero year of intensive language study.  He did not understand much at first, and then there had been a sudden rise in comprehension after which things--new words, kanji--fit into place quickly.

With kindness he offered me a boxful of textbooks from those classes.

I asked he and Midori to translate the New Year’s card from a friend.

I had a copy of my current Japanese lesson.  Every word required me concentrated minutes to read. Alvin read aloud, slowly.  He didn't know the Japanese word for "inside bath" and so mispronounced the kanji as "nai," which is the alternative form.  Most kanji have two pronunciations, a Chinese pronunciation and a Japanese pronunciation. 

On the other hand he knew many more words in the dialogue and taught with smugness. I had been his teacher of English for a year.   He reminded me of my nephew instructing me in trigonometry, with no idea that I knew what a cosine was. 

We went inside, and Alvin logged on and showed me website of friends called “Friendster” which is a social networking site, and his "blog."  I'd heard of blogs and read about them because they were in the news a lot lately, but I'd never seen one of someone I knew. Filipinos who criticised his English read Alvin’s blog.

------------------

On the way to Osaka, a young woman slept on a seat across the aisle.  She folded her legs as if on the floor and covered them with a coat.  Her head lagged to one side and she seemed sound asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“How long should the essay be?” students asked during finals.

“How do you say, ‘both sides of a piece of paper?’" I asked.

“Ryou,” they said.

“Like ‘ryoumen?’” I asked.  “Parents?”

“Yes, yes.”

“Ryoumen means literally ‘both people?’”

Yes, yes.”

------------------

The freshmen class at NDA talked me into showing a movie. They accepted the choice of the movie called “Ronin,” starring Robert de Niro, which was among a handful of videos donated in the foreign teachers’ room.  The video was troublesome to start.  A student helped, but there was no audio. English subtitles sometimes appeared. 

We all realised the subtitles only appeared when French was spoken in the scenes, which were in Paris.

The cadet tried again for audio.  Whenever the subtitles appeared, I read loudly, encouraging the class to follow suit.

A cadet seated behind me said softly, "We understand, Katzman.  So shut up."

The right cable was connected and we sat back to enjoy the movie.

 END

No comments:

Post a Comment